Friday, May 1, 2015

Do It For the Grade

   With the amount of stress that we're under as students about to take our AP exams, every second of our time is valuable. Teachers seem to not understand that concept.
   As a student athlete and AP taker, I personally do not see the whole point of assigning time consuming homework that you're not checking or collecting. Even if you say its "for my own good" it's not. Personally, I don't care about world history and how the Gupta dynasty was decentralized or how Brazil needed slaves the most because they depended on what came from their plantations. I do it for the grade.
   The fact that I only care to do something if I'm getting credit says something about our school system and the way we're being raised. Students should want to learn! School is supposed to be all about learning and enriching your mind with information that you wouldn't receive otherwise, but it's turned into battle of GPAs.
   Students would rather cheat and devalue their integrity than just take the F. Why is this? Because we as a society value ourselves more on paper than our actual selves! I can promise you that I have not learned a single thing that I actually care about. Nothing is really retained in my brain because I just remember it for my test and then completely forget about it because I don't need it anymore.
   In school, we should be learning things that we'll actually need in life. We should be valuing every second we have because we only have a limited amount of time on this Earth.
   If teachers really want to pick and choose what they grade, I think we, as student who are pulling our hairs out, should have the right to pick and choose what we want to do without being penalized.

Do your job, and I'll do mine.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, your rants give me life. KEep up your blogging job, and I'll do mine.

    ReplyDelete